Thursday, June 4, 2015

Economical Kitchen Floor Makeover!

Time has gotten away from me! Our ground floor home remodel came to a grinding halt once the contractors were finished. Perhaps it was the upcoming holidays and all the hassle we had getting appliances delivered that were not dented and smashed (thank you, Sears!). I was so relieved we did not have a large group for Thanksgiving since Sears left me with an incomplete kitchen for the holiday.

I have been enjoying the more open floor plan and lots of organized storage. But I just couldn't get back to doing the floors and backsplash and woodwork. Procrastination! So much to do at TLC Vintage always, family, spring meant the garden needed attention. So enough of that! Let's remember how things looked before and after the contractors!

I thought the deep red walls were pretty trendy when I painted them in 2004! But over time, I learned that Thermafoil wrapped cabinets do not hold up well. They were cracking, peeling and impossible to paint. The floor plan was tight and u-shaped. The opening between kitchen and dining room too narrow! I can go on and  on. But here is what the layout looks like today with my fabulous hammered copper farm sink.

Notice the floors. They look good when you are not close up. But they are scarred, milky along edges of some boards, faded at the exterior doorways. Truly a mess. In addition, areas had to be pieced in with the re-design of the kitchen layout and were very noticeable. So this week I started their rehab, hoping to give a weathered barnwood look. Here is how it went....

I degreased, then washed down and rinsed before starting. I used my preferred paint because it will go right over this surface with no sanding -- Chalk Paint®decorative paint by Annie Sloan. I started with a light wash effect of Graphite.

Next I dry brushed over the area intermittently with first French Linen, then when dry - Coco!

After letting the paint dry and cure for a day, I rolled on a layer of Annie Sloan Lacquer -- a varnish for floors.

I have allowed the varnish to cure overnight and will follow up with a second coat today. Voila! A new looking floor at a fraction of the cost. Less than one can of paint, two liters of under $200 when you add in painters tape, brushes and rollers. With any luck we are good to go for another 15 years!