In Sherwood Forest Center
7518 Hickman Rd Des Moines
Monday, June 4, 2012
A Few Tips on Using our Paint!
Okay, I admit it. I am smitten! There is something really nice about opening a brand new can of:
Yep, That's right.....Annie Sloan Chalk Paint(TM) brand decorative paint! But to make your life easier when painting this summer, here are a few tips.
1) To help mix your paint up easier, try to turn the can upside down the night before -- or at least a half hour before you start. Then, don't just stir the paint around. Bring the stick up off the bottom many times and you will notice it is thicker there. Make sure it is totally blended so that you are getting the good stuff that sinks to the bottom for best coverage and feel....
2) I know it is tempting to paint outdoors on a nice day. But Chalk Paint(TM) is water based and by its nature tends to dry quickly. Outdoors, sun or no, wind or no.....you will find that it is drying faster than you can paint. Not to mention insects or dust or other airborn matter getting stuck in your paint job!
3) Instead of painting "out of the can", I suggest dipping out what you think you will need into another container. This will help keep the remaining paint from thickening and will help keep the edge of your can clean so you can reseal the lid tightly! (I should remember this tip as I have a bad habit of really messing up the edges of my cans!)
4) Get interrupted a lot with phone, kids or whatever when you are working on something? Keep a jar of clean water nearby to leave your brush in when you get distracted from the job. Nothing worse than being gone longer than you think and having your brush dry out! Far easier to blot a wet brush with some terry cloth or paper towel then clean out a caked brush!
5) And as one Annie Sloan(TM) stockist has been known to say, and I quote her often: "Try not to paint everything in your house the first day! Leave something for tomorrow!" Happy painting....